Tuesday, June 5, 2007



You become suddenly aware of how much you are failing as a parent when upon passing a herd of cattle, your five year old happily screams out: "Look-- horses!"

It's funny how, no matter how hard you try to cover all the bases, something always gets left out. This job of parenting, it bewilders me. How is it possible that I drill into them the art of manners, kindness, understanding and patience; but along the way, it is painfully evident that I missed the whole chapter on farm animals. And how is it, of all the accomplishments and opportunities I have been blessed with, my brown haired clone of me in the back seat is the one thing that makes me able to scoff at them all and realize what is important.

The nice thing about having kids, is that you get a constant reoccurring chance to try again. So I failed at the introduction of animals to my kid, but I did manage to teach him math, writing and social skills. And after all, how often is going to have to use his knowledge of cattle in his life?? Naturally, this means he will be a diary farmer. But even so, he may not know they are cattle.. but he will know how to count them, write about them and how to interact with them! Look at me! I am an amazing parent! Please pass my crown!

Apparently, today's travels will include a trip to the library where we will be checking out numerous books on animals. *eyeroll*

This is me: searching for the zen.....

4 comments:

Mrs. H said...

WOW!! Don't we all have days like this!!

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

LOL...with a moo moo here and a moo moo there.

Kayris said...

Johnny knows what cows are, but he still calls them horses.

You can tell we are city people. The first time he sat in grass, he cried...

mumple said...

Too funny! At least he's using a real language, and not one he's made up, and that no one else understands...

We're still not sure what "smelling otters" is, because the Howler will neither confirm nor deny our best guesses.