Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Really? Another baseball blog?


Ok.. so I know it seems nuts that I keep writing about sports. I swear, my soul must have been hijacked. But yes, this is another blog on baseball.. but this time.. its on my utter disappointment.

My youngest is on a team that has a great bunch of parents. I am pretty lucky that both of the teams I currently sit on have a terrific group I can hob nob along side of. My youngest team however, has a severe lack of leadership when it comes to the head coach. He is young, so I will give him the benefit of the doubt.. but we are several games -- and more than several practices-- into the season and I am not seeing anything resembling leadership coming from him. I will concur that for the age group of 5 and 6 year old, this can be a trying sport to teach. However, I have video of this coach throwing the ball to himself during the games and ignoring the players.. leaving them to run and get out on a base because they still are not sure WHERE to run or WHEN!! It strikes me as odd that he would even be out there with them if there is such a obvious lack of enthusiasm. I heard from others that you get career points if you volunteer for things like coaching and it helps with promotion. Now, I wont knock anyone for trying to make rank-- in our game-- its what you do. Its all about the rank. BUT-- to do so at the expense of a bunch of kids is shameless. It has gotten bad enough that the parents have bounded together to "fire " him. Yes, we are trying to "fire" a volunteer. It's nothing I am proud about. I am usually so supportive of volunteers. But at this stage, its about my kid getting the skills he needs to play and finding enjoyment from it. I want Aj to go out to the diamond and understand what its all about. Where first is.. how to have a stance.. how to throw.. how to bat! Currently, we have become so frustrated that the dads (and some moms) have gotten out there to take over coaching. Really.. should it be to this point?

I know it seems a silly thing to rant about, but I paid money for him to join this league.. I expect some type of preparation for a game. I want my child to have pride and since Aj seriously has the natural gift to play... I want him to enjoy it!

Why is it so hard to find a coach who will help in that area?

No zen here! None!

4 comments:

mumple said...

Oh, yeah, he needs a wake up call!

Maybe someone could co-coach with him (and basically do the work he's not doing) rather than fire him outright.

Then, next year, the Little League (or whatever the association that runs the league is) could politely let him know that his *services* will not be needed again.

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

Why is it so hard to get good coaches?

We have a football coach who means well, but doesn't seem to get that with 6 year olds, the issue isn't really so much that "they don't know right from left" as it is that they can't remember 32 different plays

left 1
left 2
left 3
left 4
left 5
right 1
right 2
right 3
right 4
right 5

oh, and Wallaby. The kids all remember the Wallaby play for some odd reason, but they can't tell right from left. Go figure.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Pen Drive, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://pen-drive-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Anonymous said...

What is it with people sometimes?? Isn't there some sort of check and balance thing to go through before they let you go out there with a team of kids? A poor leader can really ruin the sport for the kid if they aren't careful. My son did baseball for two years. The first year was T-ball - a complete joke. The coach had a toddler girl who kept running on the field and making a scene at every game...which took away from the coaches time to work with the kids because he was always running after her. (and yes, his wife was there too trying to take care of her as well...she was adorable but definitely a handful for them.) Kids were running all over the place and no one knew where to go half the time. The next year we got the coach who only wanted to win...and if they didn't they had a 'chewing out' and then were punished by having to run laps after they finished the game or double time the work load at the next practice...even if they played a good game. (You see...if the coaches team did the best he/she was the one who got to coach the all-star team at the end of the year.) I am all for hard work and such but I think there is a way to positively motivate kids to do their best...part of which is bringing attention to them when they do good. The year ended better after he finally accepted that we weren't going to be the first place team. He relaxed a bit, but my son doesn't want to play anymore because of those two experiences. Too bad really. I feel your pain!